|Visas to China|
A Chinese visa is a permit issued by the Chinese visa authorities to an alien for entry into, exit from or transit through China. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a Diplomatic, Courtesy, Service or Ordinary Visa to an alien according to his/her status, purpose of visit to China or passport type.
How to apply
Visa applications should be submitted by the applicant or someone else entrusted in person. It cannot be done through mail. No appointment is required.
1. One completely filled out Visa Application Form of the People's Republic of China with one passport photo affix to it.
2. Original passport with at least one blank visa page and it's valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of application.
3. An applicant born in China who is applying for a Chinese visa with his/her new foreign passport is required to submit his/her original Chinese passport or a photocopy of the Chinese visa in his/her old foreign passport.
4. A child of Chinese descent and born in foreign country who applies for a Chinese visa for the first time is required to submit his/her Birth Certificate and the foreign passport or foreign permanent resident permit (e.g. Green Card) of his/her parents. Both the originals and the photocopies are needed.
5. Using Non-US passports are required to submit a photocopy of the valid US visa or Green Card.
6. Other documents required are as follows:
Applicant will be given a pickup form when submitting the application. Applicant or someone else can pick up the visa by submitting the pickup form. No passports can be released without this form.
Regular service: 5 working days from the date of submitting the application.
Expedited Service: 3-4 working days from the date of submitting the application and the extra $20/visa will be charged.
Rush Service: 1-2 working days from the date of submitting the application and the extra $30/visa will be charged. If the application is submitted to our window before 11am, it could be picked up at 2:00pm on the same day.
Credit card (MasterCard, Visa), money order and cashier's check are accepted for personal pickup.
Money order and cashier's check are accepted for mail back service.
Please make the money order or cashier's check payable to Chinese Consulate in Chicago.
Entries Permitted Non-US Citizens (Using Romanian passport please see below) US Citizens Regular Service Expedited Service Rush Service Regular Service Expedited Service Rush Service Single entry 30 50 60 140 160 170 Double entry 45 65 75 Multiple entry for 6 months 60 80 90 Multiple entry for 12 months or more 90 110 120
(Using Romanian passport please see below)
Multiple entry for 6 months
Multiple entry for 12 months or more
Visa fee of regular service for using Romanian passport is as follows:
$75 for a single entry visa
$100 for a double entry visa
$150 for a multiple entry visa for 6-12 months
Mail back service
Applicants who cannot come back again to pick up could request mail back service. The mail back service is only available to applications under regular process. We will mail out the package in 5-7 working days from the date of application. Please submit a money order/cashier's check and a self-addressed pre-paid return envelope with sufficient postage when you apply. Only the following return envelopes with tracking number/bar code are accepted: UPS(air only), FedEx(air only), USPS Express Mail. Certified or registered return envelopes are not accepted. The applicant should fill in his/her name and US address as both SENDER and RECIPIENT on the return envelope. In addition to visa fee, handling fee of $5/envelope shall be charged. Please pay by money order or cashier's check. If you have more than one application in the same category, you could use only one envelope and one money order or cashier's check.Applicants are solely responsible for the correct address, postage provided on their return envelopes, any loss or damage to your passport and documents due to any mishandling by the post office or other delivery services.
Visa-free entry: No visa is required for ordinary passport holders from Singapore, Brunei and Japan to visit China for up to 15 days of business, sightseeing, visiting relatives or friends or transit.
1. Visas are not required for aliens who hold final destination visas and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.
2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours: Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland.
Applicants have the responsibility to check the contents of the visas when pick up.
All regulations are subject to change without notice.