Home > Services > Visa & Passport > Visa
Child born in the U. S. to a Chinese Parent

According to the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. The child will be eligible for a Chinese Travel Document (Click to check how to apply for a PRC Travel Document).

The Law also provides that a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad (obtained U.S Green Card), or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad(obtained U.S Green Card), and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality. The child will be eligible for a Chinese visa. Below are the documents required for visa applications:


Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and blank visa pages, and a copy of the passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate.

2.Visa Application Form  and Photo

One completed Visa Application Form with a recently-taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached. The form need to be signed by one of the parents.

3.Child's Birth Certificate

Original unabridged birth certificate of the child and a copy of the certificate.

4.Identity Certification of Parents

Original and a copy of both parents' passports and proof of parents' immigration status in the U.S. (i.e. Green Card).

5.Supporting documents pertaining to the visit to China, ex. Invitation letter. (Click to check documents required for each visa category)

6.Other documents as required by the consular officer.

7.If the child never gets a Chinese visa after birth, all documents listed above from 1 to 6 are required. If the child has previously been issued a Chinese visa, document #3 &#4 can be waived,  but a copy of the previous Chinese visa is required.


1. Normally the child is not required to come to the Visa Office in person and the application can be submitted by the parent(s) or an agent. Please submit the application to Chinese Embassy/Consulate General based on the child's State of residence (Click to check where to submit your application)

2. Parents of the child should guarantee that all information provided in the application is true and correct. Any false, misleading or incomplete information may result in denial of the visa or refusal of entry into China.

3. An applicant may be required to submit an original invitation, provide other supporting documents, or schedule an interview with the consular officer.

The consular officer will make decisions on whether or not to grant a visa and allowed validity, duration of stay and number of entries based on individual application.  


Suggest to a Friend